Operations Supervisor plans, coordinates and monitors activities of a warehouse operations team. Proactively responds to events and issues that threaten the productivity and quality of the operation. Ensures effective communication with team members, through observation while on the warehouse floor, one-on-one meetings and team meetings. Builds open and honest relationships with the customer, ensures the team provides service excellence, understands and anticipates customer needs.
- Develops collaborative relationships with team members, providing the leadership necessary to achieve warehouse operation objectives.
- Creates an inclusive environment and provides information about Metro’s culture for all team members.
- Using a hands-on structured approach is responsible for team member training and cross-training including orientation, use of equipment, health and safety, WMS and customer service.
- Connects new team members with peer support for the purpose of on-the-job training.
- Prepares labour resource scheduling plan based on projected volumes, seasonality and past volume trends to meet warehouse operations deadlines.
- Manages challenges on the warehouse floor through observations and those raised by team members.
- Identifies and removes barriers to productivity.
- Communicates, explains and measures performance metrics to team members.
- Conducts regular “one-on-one” meetings with team members.
- Conducts daily shift briefings to ensure effective communication of relevant information to team members.
- Reinforces and recognizes positive team member performance by providing timely, specific feedback.
- Ensures team member errors and short-cuts to replenishment, order picking, work queue allocation, shipping and receiving processes are addressed immediately using information-specific coaching and feedback.
- Addresses concerns with team member performance applying Metro Logistics progressive coaching policy and partnering with operations management and human resources.
- Effectively manages e-mail to ensure adequate time to supervise warehouse floor operations.
- Daily approves team member labour hours adhering to company time keeping policies, ensuring proper payment to team members and correct assignment of department and job codes.
- Ensures operators maintain valid MHE certification.
- Maintains notes regarding team member performance and completes 30-day, 60-day, 90-day and annual performance appraisal.
- Partners with human resources to effectively execute recruitment and selection that supports the operations labour requirements and Metro’s culture.
- Supports and encourages team members towards meeting their performance goals and ensures team members understand the action that will be taken in the event of failure to follow Metro practices and policies and meet performance expectations.
- Partners with operations leadership to effectively manage team member conflict.
- Embraces continuous learning and uses learnings for effective operation of their business.
- Five (5) years warehouse experience, with two (2) years in a leadership role preferably at a 3PL.
- Previous experience with Warehouse Management Information System (WMS), preferably Red Prairie.
- Ability to manage the performance of others in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Ability to lead a team that supports Metro’s values and business direction.
- Systems savvy with intermediate knowledge of MS Office and Warehouse Management System (WMS), preferably Red Prairie.
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize work and adapt to shifting priorities to ensure deadlines are met.
- Uses analytical reasoning to quickly understand and identify issues and propose solutions.
- Ability to train team members using established processes and adherence to SOPs.
- Ability to anticipate problems, identify root cause and solve problems to resolution.
- Able to adapt to change and easily adopt new methods and practices required to meet changing business needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work in a customer focused environment.
- Completion of college diploma in business management with a focus in logistics or the equivalent in combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management is an asset
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org